Every Child Fund
A Project of the CCHA Family Support Program
The Every Child Fund exists to support access to recreational and extracurricular programming for children who have difficulty integrating or need extra support, by providing funding for additional staffing than may otherwise be required.
Due to Cortes Island’s remote location and small population, recreational opportunities for children are few and precious, and should be accessible to all children regardless of visible or invisible developmental abilities, neurological difficulties, and/or physical capabilities.
The fund is administered by the CCHA Family Support Coordinator and may be accessed at the request of parents and/or recreational leaders with respect and confidentiality of primary importance. Support staff hired through the fund are chosen by the parent and/or recreational leaders. The fund provides $10 – $15/hr to the support person, which may be augmented by the program or parent.
Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island has generously supported the Every Child Fund for 2015. Seed funding was provided by the Strathcona Regional District Grant In Aid.
Eligibility Criteria for Children
• All Cortes resident children and youth aged 0 – 19 are eligible.
• Individual children are eligible to receive up to 25hrs or $250 of support per calendar year.
Eligibility Criteria for Programming
• Recreational and extracurricular programming offered by an organization or an individual.
• Programming must be based on Cortes Island.
• Recreational and extracurricular programming with three or more participants.
• Childcare environments and playschool are not eligible.
Eligibility for Support Person
• The support person is chosen by the parent/guardian where possible.
• The Family Support Coordinator may support the parent/guardian and/or facilitator in locating a support person.
• No special training is required of the support person. Compassion, confidentiality, an open mind and willingness to learn are key assets.
• The paid support person cannot be the parent/guardian.
• The CCHA is not responsible for the conduct, suitability or recruitment of the support person.
• CCHA will pay $10 – $15/hr to the support person. This wage may be supplemented by the family or the program.
• Families are responsible for paying all other fees associated with the program.
• Invoices submitted to the CCHA Family Support Coordinator by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) will have a cheque made out to the support person available for pick up at the health centre within seven days.