Help make this holiday season merry and bright for Cortes kids from low-income families!
Here are two ways to help make the holidays magical:
1. Make a tax deductible donation to the CCHA Holiday Smiles Fund. Donations can be made online, by cheque, or by e-transfer. 100% of your financial donation goes toward holidays gifts for children. Tax receipt for donations $20+. See details below.
2. Nominate a family (your family, your friend, your neighbour). Nominations are made anonymously through an online form. Confidentiality and anonymity are carefully guarded. Parents choose how to present the gifts to their children. Just fill out the form below!
Donate securely online https://www.canadahelps.org/en/dn/20314
Choose Holiday Smile for Cortes Kids from the drop-down menu.
Write a cheque to:
Cortes Community Health Association
Note: Holiday Smiles Fund
Send to: Box 59
Manson’s Landing, BC
Send an e-transfer.
Note Holiday Smiles Fund in your message.
Thank you Cortes!
The Vital Connection, Power to Parent with Dayna Davis. Free. Wednesdays, Oct 28 – Dec 16.
This course delivers the best that developmental science has to offer
to the people who matter most in the lives of children – parents and caregivers.
Course content includes:
- video component with Dr. Neufeld followed by discussion with Dayna
- a working model of attachment, applicable to children of all ages
- insight into child development that will inform parenting
- practical support for parents regarding aggression, trauma,
anxiety, oppositionality, discipline, and co-parenting challenges
- knowledge of the vital role of play in children’s emotional health
Wednesdays 7pm – 9pm
Online via Zoom
8 sessions – FREE
October 28 – December 16
By registration only, registration form is below.
Quadra School PAC
Cortes Family Support Program
Dayna Davis. B.Ed, Certified Neufeld Facilitator has 30 years experience working with children as a parent, and teacher in Waldorf, public school classrooms, homeschool and alternate school settings. She lives on Cortes Island and is a teacher at Cortes Island School.
The Neufeld Institute was founded by Dr. Gordon Neufeld, author of Hold On to Your Kids. Neufeld’s work is a synthesis of psychology, child development, attachment theory, neurological research and 40 years of clinical practice.
Feb 22, 29, Mar 7 & 14 at Manson’s Hall
Childcare by donation, please RSVP.
In collaboration with Cortes Island Literacy Now, the Cortes Community Health Association Family Support Program polled parents for book suggestions, followed up with a vote. This is the winner. Here is the write up.
Parenting Without Power Struggles
From Susan Stiffelman, MFT, family therapist, parenting expert and respected advice columnist for AOL’s HuffPost Parents, comes a unique approach to parenting that can help eliminate drama, meltdowns, and power struggles.
Do you ever find yourself asking . . .
• How can you get your children to do their homework without meltdowns, threats or bribes?
• How can you have a drama-free morning where the kids actually get out the door in time for school?
• How can you better manage your kids’ screen time without making them want to hide what they’re doing from you?
Family therapist Susan Stiffelman is here to help. While most parenting programs are designed to coerce kids to change, Parenting Without Power Struggles does something innovative, showing you how to come alongside your children to awaken their natural instincts to cooperate, rather than at them with threats or bribes, which inevitably fuels their resistance. By staying calm and being the confident “Captain of the ship” your child needs, you will learn how to parent from a place of strong, durable connection, and you’ll be better able to help your kids navigate the challenging moments of growing up.
Drawing upon her successful practice and packed with real-life stories, Parenting Without Power Struggles is an extraordinary guidebook for transforming the day-to-day lives of busy parents—and the children they love.
We are grateful to be living and offering these programs in the ancestral and unceded territories of the Klahoose, Tla'amin, and Homalco nations.