Financial Support for Families
There are a number of programs available for low-income families, here are some which may serve your needs. The Family Support Coordinator is available to help you print and/or complete the following forms, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
BC Healthy Kids Program
- Dental – Children are eligible for $1,400 of basic dental services every two years.
- Optical – Children are eligible for prescription eyeglasses (lenses and basic frames) once in a twelve-month period. Children’s eye examinations are covered by MSP.
BC Rental Assistance Program
The Rental Assistance Program provides eligible low-income, working families with cash assistance to help with their monthly rent payments.
To qualify, families must have a gross household income of $35,000 or less, have at least one dependent child, and have been employed at some point over the last year.
- Child Care Subsidy is a monthly payment to assist eligible British Columbia families with the cost of child care and can be used toward Cortes Island Playschool tuition.
- The Children’s Health Foundation Bear Essentials Program has partnered with the CCHA to help families cover unexpected or extraordinary expenses related to their child’s health and special needs when their resources are inadequate to cover them, and other community resources cannot be mobilized. Financial support is available for medical specialists not covered by MSP, travel to specialist appointments, dental work and more.
Cortes Island Food Bank
- We have a small locally operated food bank on island. To request a food box please contact the Family Support Coordinator at email@example.com .
Accommodation assistance for families while a child is receiving medical care at BC Children’s Hospital or Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children. Application is by phone. Contact 1.866.496.6946 directly to apply for assistance through this program.
Hope Air was founded to make travelling to healthcare appointments less burdensome for low-income people. Donations and in-kind support from WestJet, Pacific Coastal and Central Mountain Air and AirBnB make free flights and accommodations possible for thousands of Canadians each year. Flight is for patient only, and for one escort for children under 19 or when medically required. Financial information is requested on the application.
We are grateful to be living and offering these programs in the ancestral and unceded territories of the Klahoose, Tla'amin, and Homalco nations.